Psychoanalytic psychotherapy aims:
1. To get in touch with aspects of ourselves which we are currently unconscious of, but which have knock on effects which cause us distress of some sort (symptoms) or hold us back in some way (for example being stuck in limiting repetitive relationship patterns).
2. To create an environment which allows for the development of the mind.
As a result of this work it is possible to find freedom from the the symptoms which bring us into therapy and also a certain freedom of the mind from which we can allow ourselves a greater range of experience; a greater connection between head and heart; a greater capacity for intimate relations with others and with ourselves.
The first session or two can be used to see if this sort of therapy might be for you, this is an opportunity for you to tell me a bit about yourself, what brings you to therapy and what you are hoping to get from it. If I feel that you might be better served elsewhere then I will do my best to offer you some alternative routes.
The Form of the Sessions
Frequency might be once, twice or three times weekly.
After the initial session/s you will have the opportunity to use the couch or the chair.
Initial consultation fees are £50. Ongoing fees begin at £50 and can be agreed during the initial sessions, they depend on frequency of the sessions and your financial situation. I may lower the fees if your circumstances change during the therapy. Fees may be reviewed periodically.
I hold some reduced fee spaces for those on a low income.
Psychotherapy can treat a wide range of psychological and emotional disturbances, it can help change deep seated patterns and help people deal with, come to terms with, or recover from many of lifes difficulties such as:
- Repetitive relationship problems
- Difficulties with commitment
- Fears of abandonment
- Eating disorders
- Problems feeling, or dealing with, emotions and feelings
- Panic attacks
- Anxiety disorders
- Personality disorders
- Psychotic episodes
- Lack of enjoyment or contact with life
- Midlife, spiritual and other crises
- Artistic blocks
Psychotherapy is based on a contemporary psychoanalytic approach.